With Custom Quotes you can configure a large number of parts simultaneously and submit quote requests in minutes. In this article, you will learn the difference between Custom Quotes and Instant Quotes, what projects would benefit most, and how to use it.
What’s the Difference Between Custom Quotes and Instant Quotes?
Custom Quotes allows you to manage, configure, and request quotes for complex projects that contain many parts and/or materials, processes, and post-processes that are not offered in the Instant Quoter drop-down fields. Instant Quotes is still the best option for small orders that can be configured using processes, materials, and post-processes found in the drop-down fields. When you submit a custom quote, it may take up to two days for the quote to be returned. With Custom Quotes, you can also invite collaborators, add special requirements, and upload your BOM. To read more about the benefits of our new Custom Quotes feature, please check out our blog post!
What Projects are Best for Custom Quotes?
Projects that meet the following criteria would benefit most from Custom Quotes and save you time:
- Projects that contain a large number of individual parts
- Parts that require non-standard processes and/or materials
- Parts that require one or more post-processes
- Projects that have special requirements (e.g. polishing specific surfaces)
- Projects with a BOM
- Collaborative projects
How Do I Use Custom Quotes?
1.) Upload your files
To upload your files, follow these steps:
- Click “New custom quote” on the upper right-hand side of the page in the Custom Quotes tab
- Enter the name of your quote/project (Fig. 1)
- Hit “Continue to upload files” and select the file(s) to upload (Fig. 1)
Note: You may drag-and-drop multiple files at once in this step, or you can choose to upload a single file and select the remainder during configuration (Fig. 2).
- To continue, hit “Continue to quote overview”. This will take you to the Quote Overview tab of your project where you can enter information pertinent to your project such as deadline, part use, highest quantity, specific requirements, etc. (Fig. 3). Please note project deadline, part use, and highest quantity are required fields to continue.
- Once you have entered the required information, you may continue to the configuration tab by clicking “Continue to configuration” on the bottom right-hand corner (Fig. 3).
Please note when you upload a PDF drawing, it will not automatically attach to its corresponding CAD file. To attach the drawing to the model, select the “Attach drawing” button to the left of the corresponding CAD file and select the PDF from the list in the drop-down. (Fig. 4)
2.) Configure Materials & Processes
When you have your files uploaded and you’re ready to configure, you may either configure each individually if they have different process or material requirements, or you may configure in bulk.. To configure each part individually, select the “Configure” button to the right of the part name. If you have multiple parts with the same requirements, you can save even more time by selecting bulk configuration. To begin a bulk configuration, select the corresponding boxes to the left of the model thumbnail. Once you have selected your batch, click the green “Configure” button above the list of parts (Fig. 5).
Selecting the “Configure” button will bring up a dialog box in which you can choose the process, material, post-processing (if applicable), and quantity (Fig. 6). Although you will see a drop-down list of materials for most processes, you also have the ability to type in a custom material not listed. Once you have selected your process, material, post-process (if applicable), and quantity, hit “Apply configuration” to return to the main page. You will see the configuration selections listed to the right of each file name.
3.) Submitting your Custom Quote
When you are satisfied with your configuration(s) and you’re ready to submit your quote request, simply click “Request exact quote” in the bottom right-hand corner (Fig. 7).
Upon submittal, you will see a confirmation message that also gives you the option of canceling your request for quote (Fig. 8). If you wish to proceed, no further action is required, and you will receive an email once the quote has been prepared and is ready to view.